26 November 2008

thanksgiving, fat cash

For all that have been asking me, yeah, the picture is from Hamburg...by the oh so popular lake Alster.  Not the greatest picture if you're lusting for a skyline, but I like boats so you can JUST DEAL WITH IT, you punks.

Speaking of punks, I get to sleep late tomorrow because the ninth graders have to take a test.  Yippee!  And in even better news, I suddenly have a bunch of tutoring jobs.  I'm now also tutoring my little Korean protege in math.  He mostly has issues with word problems because it's all in English.  Being the genius I am, I have a pretty good grasp of fourth-grade mathematics and I'm pretty confident I can provide said tutoring.  So, that's four hours a week for the Koreans in the district of Othmarschen, split between Mondays and Wednesdays.  Then I've got a new one coming up in the district of Bramfeld, for this tenth grader who has dismal grades in English.  There's another 90 minutes on Tuesdays.  Then on Thursdays after school I tutor this kid Nick in Conny's LK 12 class, a pretty charming lad who, according to Conny, won't pass his Abitur (that test German high schoolers have to take in order to graduate) if he doesn't get tutoring in English grammar.  Another two hours.  And THEN I am tutoring (probably short-term unless she decides to continue) this girl Marta from the remedial English course I teach with my British colleague James, because she's got a test on December 17th and won't pass it otherwise.  Another two hours.  So that's...9 and a half hours of tutoring, which will roll in at least another hundred euros a week which would really help me out, especially since Christmas is coming up and I'd really like to bring home a few gifts other than chocolate.

Thanksgiving at Dan's was fun!  Stuffing and gravy and corn and potatoes and rolls and all the fixins', everything veg 'cept for the turkey (I had my "hippie shit" instead).  It was me, Dan, Dan's friend Julika, Amy, Amy's friend Tom, and two Brits, Helen and Kat, who were couchsurfing with Tom last weekend.  It was really fun...Helen and Kat were hilarious and there was lots of wine going around and it was just really cool.  Apparently Europeans are not familiar with the joy that is pumpkin pie.  Well, that got rectified.  We were at the table from around 8:30 till one in the morning.  I have pictures!  I also have quotes but they're pretty inappropriate so I'll share those on a request-only basis.

Happy Thanksgiving, punks.

No comments: