04 October 2008

A sense of foreboding...

Hmm.  I think my apartment might be a brief experience.

Dan came over yesterday afternoon, because it was Tag der Deutschen Einheit (the anniversary of the reunification) and everything was closed and we were bored.  We made some noodles and watched TV before peacing out to go to Lokstedt.  I got home late, went to Ikea today, and have been chillin out since then.  So my flatmate Vicky comes home from work and is like, "Did you have a friend stay overnight?"  

I say no, a friend was over for a bit but we left and were gone for most of the evening.  And she informs me that whenever I have someone over I have to let her and Marjane (my other flatmate) know beforehand.  Uh, who does that?  Is spontaneity not allowed here? She explains that when people come over they use the toilet or whatever, and that costs money because water in Hamburg is really expensive.  Yeah, I know, but seriously?  This basically means that I can't ever have a party, and that even if a friend swings by the city and needs to stay overnight I have to clear it with my flatmates, even though it's my room and I have to pay 400 effing euros per month for it.   All because Vicky is turbo paranoid about the water bill.  She's pretty obsessed with the fact that the apartment is meant for three people, not four, and that when random people come over it raises the bills, etc.  I get that, but wow.  This is a little too intense for my taste.  This is the kind of thing you rarely discover before moving in...I told Vicky that we'd have to see if this works out, and that if our lifestyles clash too much I will look for another place.  As an adult paying rent, I would prefer some freedom.   And from what I've seen, I think she literally works all the time and has no life.  No big deal if I move out.

I can't even hang up a picture because the paint on my walls is allegedly expensive.  My walls are this kind of ugly shade that's sort of a combination between gray and sand and beige, if that's imaginable.  Who paid a lot of money to paint them that color?  My mother would have an interior decorating complex.  I probably should move out before I let her see it.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I will probably start looking for another room so that I can avoid the potential clashes that are definitely going to happen when friends come stay with me, or (god forbid) if I start dating someone here.  After the winter semester starts at the university it will be easier to find a place since there will be slightly less demand and I'll be able to take my time a little bit.  So I guess be prepared for tales of high-strung flatmates and agitated conversations in German.

On a lighter note, I found a store that sells mystic apparel and accessories, LARP stuff, and other super nerdy shit that I want to take pictures of and snicker at.  If you don't know what larping is, google it.  It's hilarious.

No comments: