14 September 2008

Beer. Weekend adventures

I decided to start a list of all the delicious beers I have been enjoying, so that by the end of the year I can remember which ones I liked!  So in my first week here, I've already got eight under my belt:

Kölsch (beer from Köln area)
Carlsberg (really great beer from Copenhagen)
Jever (popular in Hamburg and Lothar's favorite)
Astra (also from Hamburg)
Lübzer Pils (consumed post-flight...I don't even remember if I liked it)
Bitburger (a lot like Kölsch)
Warsteiner (liked this one a lot)
Flensburger Pilsener (my favorite thus far)

It's been a rather beer-filled weekend...on Friday Lothar and Anne and I went to the theater to see Kaballe & Liebe (from Schiller)...Anne's sister Christa was part of the stage crew so we got free tickets!  Too bad the acoustics were a bit rough and they had a lot of older German words that I didn't know, so I didn't really understand too much of the dialogue.  But it was fun nonetheless...then afterwards we got some YUMMY Chinese food down the street from the apartment...it was great because it was real Chinese food, not the crappy stuff.  Then we went to a sort of a dive bar called St. Pauli Eck, aka Brigitte's (Brigitte is the bartender) and had beer and Mexikaner, which are shots of Korn and tomato juice and pepper and taste disturbingly like liquid pizza, meaning that they were freaking awesome.  I would rather have a Mexikaner than eat a pizza...well we were pretty loopy after that and we all went home and I probably went on Wikipedia or something before falling asleep and waking up with a little headache...

Anyway yesterday we also went to a flea market (of which there are TONS in Hamburg) and I got a Warren Zevon cd for like four euros...we walked around all day in the sun and I really need to remember to bring my camera and put some pictures on this thing.  We made pasta and salad and some friends came over and we all ate supper and watched soccer on the tv, and Werder Bremen won 3-0 so we had a celebratory Schnapps.  I will write more about soccer later because the sentiments are really quite interesting in Hamburg.

Anne and Lothar have a foosball table so we also played that and then we all went to Eldorado, a really cozy bar with red lighting and cool retro-style wallpaper and stuff, and we had some beer and hung out.  The bartender was freaking MASSIVE.  I kid you not, she must have been nearly seven feet tall.  Her HEAD practically touched the ceiling.  I felt like I was on that tv show Little People, Big World because I literally barely came up to her hips.  Sigh.

Tonight we're making Pfifferlinge, which are these little mushrooms that used to be in all the forests in Germany and are quite beloved here.  But since there aren't as many forests, and the forests are always being replanted, the roots of the mushrooms only grow in certain areas and thus they are more scarce.  They usually come from Poland or Russia now because of that and they only grow in summer.  Pfifferlinge with garlic, onions, and noodles is pretty much bliss for me...Imma eat a BIG OL BOWL OF IT

Easy German of the day:

Ja, eben.  (ya, ei-bin):  Similar to "for real" or "fo realz."   I say this a lot.
Fremdschäme (fremd-shay-ma): when you are embarrassed for someone else.  Think of watching Michael Scott say something horribly awkward on The Office.  You are probably experiencing a feeling of Fremdschäme.

fun Hamburg fact of the day:  often the S-Bahn (above-ground subway) is underground and the U-Bahn (subway) goes above ground

No comments: